Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hot Spam Sandwiches

This recipe is very kid friendly both for eating and making. Most people say, eww, gross-Spam. But this recipe has been in the Ashby family for three generations we all grew up on it and love it.

I didn't tell Mark it was Spam when I first served it to him when we were newlyweds, just in case. But he loved it from the first bite. I found out then too, that he doesn't have a problem with it anyway, so, here's to breaking down barriers and prejudices which might not exist after all!

We usually use hamburger buns because of the tradition of it, but we have used anything from hotdog buns to tortillas. We often grill them because it is faster and sometimes we don't have foil. So make it how you want. It's all good.


1 large can Spam shredded
1/2 pound shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp. mustard
3 Tbs sweet relish
1/3 cup mayo
1 package hamburger buns or 16 slices bread


Mix together all ingredients (except for the bread.....) and then evenly distribute amongst the buns or sandwich bread. Wrap each sandwich in aluminum foil and heat thoroughly at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Makes 8 generously filled sandwiches.

MmmMmmm appetizing.

3 comments:

The Chuck Smith Family said...

Oh Carolyn, chuck will be so happy! He loves spam...me not so much. But I'll give it a shot. The picture looks good.

Matt said...

Nice. Since I am the only one in my house who likes Spam, I'll have to eat all the sandwiches by myself.
-Matt

The Chuck Smith Family said...

These are really good. Thanks Carolyn!